Let's Move! Outside
Preparing the Next Generation of Outdoor Stewards, One City at a Time
Leading First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Outside initiative, the U.S. Department of the Interior, YMCA of the USA, and the National League of Cities (NLC) have joined forces to create more opportunities for kids to play, learn, serve and work outdoors. The value and benefits of time spent outside are well documented, but unfortunately, there is a growing disconnect between young people and the great outdoors—and it’s a gap that we all have the power to help bridge. In partnership with local communities, this initiative is creating meaningful connections to nature for millions of children, young adults, families and veterans, ultimately preparing and supporting the next generation of outdoor stewards.
Key Partnership: SOLVE
For nearly half a century, SOLVE has been bringing people together to improve Oregon communities and natural areas through hands-on volunteer projects. Our projects are a fun, easy way to get outdoors, meet your neighbors and take care of our neighborhoods, parks, beaches and more. No matter where you live or visit in Oregon, you can be a part of a SOLVE volunteer project or start you own project year round.
All of our projects are hands-on, outdoor volunteer opportunities involving litter cleanup, invasive plant removal or native tree and shrub plantings. These activities help to keep our treasured neighborhoods, parks and natural areas clean and healthy. All Oregonians are invited to participate and bags, gloves and other supplies are provided free of charge at check in. Pre-registration is recommended but not required, and no experience is needed. Visit SOLVE for more information.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
1. Spring Oregon Beach Cleanup, presented by AAA Oregon — April 1, 2017 — covers the entire Oregon Coast on a single day.
2. SOLVE IT for Earth Day, presented by Portland General Electric — April 22, 2017 — covers the entire state of Oregon with 150-200 individual projects to choose from.
3. Beach & Riverside Cleanup, presented by the Oregon Lottery — Sept. 23, 2017 — covers the entire Oregon Coast, plus 60 or more inland sites state-wide.
1. Calendar of Events - join a planned event near you! SOLVE facilitates projects nearly every Saturday of the year, occasionally weekday and Sunday projects are also listed, check back often and sort our list by city or county to find a project that fits your needs.
2. Project Oregon - host a public or private event with SOLVE anytime and anywhere in Oregon.
3. Year-round Opportunities - take ownership over your own stretch of river, lake or other waterway through this flexible program.
SOLVE Social Media Guide
View Social Media Guide