Teacher, 2 positions Available (Part and Full Time)
· 20 credit hours in Education or related field or at least 1 year of experience in a licensed child care/school facility.
• Degree in Early Childhood education preferred.
· Meet all teacher standards as dictated by the state Child Care Division.
· Current CPR and First Aid certification or ability to obtain within 30 days.
· 18 yrs of age
Join a bright and energetic team who work to plan and implement a safe, developmentally appropriate classroom environment for children.
• Provide and follow written plans for a well-balanced, age appropriate curriculum.
• Supervise assistants and volunteers.
• Maintain a physically and emotionally appropriate environment for children in compliance with state regulations and YMCA standards.
• Assist or provide children with personal hygiene (diapering, potty training, etc).
• Maintain a clean and neat environment.
• Supervise children at all times.
• Maintain a high level of interaction with the children.
• Maintain positive interactions with parents/guardians of children.
• Complete all record keeping in an accurate and timely manner.
• Design and implement a daily schedule which includes activities to enhance the development of cognitive, social, emotional and physical skills.
• Maintain positive communication with school personnel.
• Participate in observation, assessment and evaluation of children.
• Adhere to the YMCA principles of love, respect, honesty, service and responsibility.
• Respond appropriately to all and any emergency situations.
• Perform all other duties assigned by supervisor.
The bright and cheerful YMCA Child Development Center, The Playground, located across the street from St. Vincent Hospital, is hiring a warm and nurturing Part-Time Teacher. This position is scheduled to work primarily a shift between the hours of 8am-6pm, Monday through Thursday. Schedule can be somewhat flexible. Be a part of an exceptional program dedicated to teaching children the importance of health in mind, body and spirit. Join the staff of experienced providers in a fulfilling work environment with a mission driven organization committed to employee development.
• Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
• Commit to establishing long-term relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families
• Ability to communicate well with children, staff and parents.
• Sense of humor, positive attitude and fairness.
• Ability to work independent as well as create and lead work teams.
• Ability and willingness to obtain and keep current CPR/First Aid certifications.
• Ability and willingness to perform any and all jobs in the program.
• Ability and willingness to participate in 15 hours of job related training annually.
• Ability to sit on floor or child sized chair, stand for 1 hour periods, occasionally lift 50 lbs. and crouch for 15 minutes.
• Ability to multi task.
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y’s vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: Compli, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
How to Apply
Submit a completed Employment Application to:
The Playground YMCA Child Development Center
9427 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer