· Must meet or exceed all requirements for Lifeguard Level I
· Lifeguard Certification (YMCA, Red Cross, or accredited certification)
· Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification
· Current Standard First Aid Certification
· Have or obtain a thorough understanding of facilities emergency procedures
· Minimum 3 years lifeguarding experience
· Must pass all written tests for lifeguarding
· Swim 500 yards in 15 minutes or less
· Brick retrieval performed under a minute
· Meet or exceed all lifeguarding skills and tests
· Must perform all skills unassisted
· 18 years or older
Under the supervision of the Aquatic Director, the lifeguard will supervise the pool, take chemical checks, program attendance, and serve members in accordance with rules and policies as set forth by the Association.
Essential Functions Of Job
· Must consistently attend in-services
· Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff, and give directions in an authoritative, yet tactful manner.
· Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
· Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforces safety regulations, and applies appropriate management techniques.
· Ability to provide a high quality of member satisfaction while performing job functions.
· Be familiar with and support the Mission of the YMCA.
· Ability to swim at least 500 yards each week.
· Must be able to lift and/or carry 50 pounds.
· Conducts themselves professionally on deck (i.e. actively scanning, sitting or standing in a rescue ready stance, enforcing rules, using whistle appropriately etc.)
· Must be able to direct others in an emergency situation
· Enforce and follow general pool rules as set forth by the Association at all times.
· Lifeguard at scheduled shifts, arriving on time and staying the full length of the shift. Find own substitute when gone and all absences must be pre-approved by supervisor.
· Be attentive to each member who enters the pool: greet each person, assess physical limitations and monitor behavior while in the pool.
· Keep the pool area clean and orderly, removing unnecessary items from the pool deck and help monitor other areas in the facility.
· Attend all required meetings and trainings as designated by supervisor.
· Membership retention duties include, but are not limited to, knowing names of members, providing members with general YMCA information, establishing a good rapport with members, suggesting appropriate aquatics programs, issuing pool equipment and giving stroke improvement or swimming tips.
· Keep accurate statistics of all program attendance and general pool use.
· Dress according to the staff uniform policy, determined by the branch and supervisor.
· Follow specific staff policies outlined by the branch and supervisor.
· Successfully complete all rescue scanning and drop drills as assigned.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y’s vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: Compli, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
11. Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles and opportunities.
12. Integrates logic, intuition and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities, make sounds decisions and solve problems.
How to Apply
Submit your completed Employment Application to:
Clark County Family YMCA
11324 NE 51st Circle
Vancouver, WA 98682
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer